Helianthemum nummularium ‘rock rose’ or ‘sun rose’ are closely related to Cistus (also referred to as Rock Rose) and are widely used as a ground cover plant especially in hot drier conditions. Hardiness Zone (5 – 8) depending on local conditions and aspect.
Although fairly frost tolerant Helianthemum nummularium ‘rock rose’ or ‘sun rose’ may require mulching with heavy frost, main care is to allow for free drainage.
Pruning and Care
Trim back to maintain shape in late summer, deadhead to encourage new growth and promote bushy plants. May be hard pruned if plants need to be regenerated after neglect.
Helianthemum nummularium ‘rock rose’ or ‘sun rose’ generally require little fertilizer, maybe a liquid seaweed fertilizer in early spring.
Many varieties and cultivars of Helianthemum nummularium to choose from including the species Helianthemum nummularium (Common Rock Rose) a yellow flowering plant.
Cultivars include plants such as the popular
- Helianthemum ‘Hartswood Ruby’ which has brilliant red flowers with a nice yellow centre.
- The double pink flowering Helianthemum ‘Annabel’.
- The pretty pale pink flowering Helianthemum nummularium ‘Wisley Primrose’.
- Helianthemum nummularium ‘Dazzler’.
- Look for the orange flowering Helianthemum nummularium ‘Ben More’.