Probably one of the best smaller growing bromeliads Guzmania conifera is easy care and has a wonderful orange flower that appears in summer to autumn.
Commonly called the Cone-Head Guzmania, this is a variety mainly grown a a house plant. Indeed it is well suited to growing in a pot or container. Guzmania conifera has lovely long grey green foliage and a flower spike that rises above in summer. The tall flower that can reach a height of 1m (3ft) appears as large orange cone and is long lasting.
In warmer areas Guzmania conifera can be grown in the garden, again a position is indirect or filtered light is best, a free draining soil is requires. Outdoors plant hardiness zones: 10-13.
Guzmania conifera Care
- A position in bright filtered light is best for Guzmania conifera.
- Keep away from cold drafts if growing indoors and try to provide some humidity.
- Try a saucer of water beneath the pot, with the pot sitting on pebbles above it, or maybe a a fine misting spray.
- Like most brooms water during the period of active growth and allow to be fairly dry during the winter dormancy.
- Fertilizer with a 1/2 strength liquid seaweed fertilizer during summer, every 2 weeks.
- Botanical Name : Guzmania conifera
- Common Name : Cone-Head Guzmnaia
- Family Name : Bromeliaceae
- USDA Zone : 9b – 13 Outdoors
- Height : To around 36 inches
- Spread : To around 24 inches
- Growth Rate : Medium to fast
- Flower colour – Orange/Red and Yellow.
- Flowering Time – Winter to Spring depending on the zone
- Soil : Humus rich, moist and well drained
- Light : Light shade.
- Humidity : Medium
- Container Growing : Yes
- Frost Tolerance : No
- Drought Tolerant : No