Probably one of the best smaller growing bromeliads Guzmania conifera is easy care and has a wonderful orange flower that appears in summer to autumn.
Commonly called the Cone-Head Guzmania, this is a variety mainly grown a a house plant. Indeed it is well suited to growing in a pot or container. Guzmania conifera has lovely long grey green foliage and a flower spike that rises above in summer. The tall flower that can reach a height of 1m (3ft) appears as large orange cone and is long lasting.
In warmer areas Guzmania conifera can be grown in the garden, again a position is indirect or filtered light is best, a free draining soil is requires. Outdoors plant hardiness zones: 10-13.
How to Grow Guzmania conifera
- A position in bright filtered light is best for Guzmania conifera.
- Keep away from cold drafts if growing indoors and try to provide some humidity.
- Try a saucer of water beneath the pot, with the pot sitting on pebbles above it, or maybe a a fine misting spray.
- Like most brooms water during the period of active growth and allow to be fairly dry during the winter dormancy.
- Fertilizer with a liquid seaweed fertilizer during summer, every 2-3 times a year during the growing season.
Care Details For Guzmania conifera
A specialist mix for Bromeliads works well as this will be an open free draining g mix. You can make a mix of fir bark, peat moss and perlite in equal proportions, or use a medium orchid soil mix which is more readily available.
Guzmania should be repotted every 3 years as the growing medium begins to break down, this prevents wet root systems. Use a smallish pot as Guzmania do not develop large root systems.
Bright indirect light is best, some morning sun is OK however not hot direct afternoon sun as this will cause leaf burn. Very low light is not suitable in the long term
Aim for temperatures 60°F (15.5°C) up to 80°F. (26°C). Any temperature below 45°F (7°C) will cause problems.
Like most Bromeliads fertiliser is not regularly required. An application of a liquid orchid fertiliser 2 – 3 times a year can be beneficial and increase plant vigour.
Never over fertilise and always flush the growing medium every month or two to remove any salt build up.
- Botanical Name : Guzmania conifera
- Common Name : Cone-Head Guzmania
- Family Name : Bromeliaceae
- USDA Zone : 9b – 13 Outdoors
- Height : To around 36 inches
- Spread : To around 24 inches
- Growth Rate : Medium to fast
- Flower colour – Orange/Red and Yellow.
- Flowering Time – Winter to Spring depending on the zone
- Soil : Humus rich, moist and well drained
- Light : Light shade.
- Humidity : Medium
- Container Growing : Yes
- Frost Tolerance : No
- Drought Tolerant : No