One of the Tillandsias that you can grow in a container, Tillandsia dyeriana is also one of the best in terms of flowers, it does need a warm humid environment.
When given the right growing conditions Tillandsia dyeriana will become the centrepiece of any plant display.
It is one of the most dramatic and desirable of all of the air plants, and Tillandsia dyeriana is available for sale, however in its natural habitat it is endangered.
From the rain forests of Ecuador it grows in the mangrove swamps, an epiphytic plant it is actually not that difficult to grow, if you can find it for sale.
Under good conditions it will happily flower twice a year, attractive red bracts tipped with small white flowers.
Tillandsia dyeriana Care
This is not a plant to ‘set and forget’, consider its tropical rainforest origins and you will understand the conditions required.
In the summer months it can be moved outdoors as long as humidity is provided. Good filtered light rather than direct sun and good moisture will all be required.
- Growing medium – Try growing this one in an orchid basket, with an open orchid mix.
- Temperature – Tillandsia dyeriana will require warmth and humidity, less water in winter than when in active growth.
- Fertiliser – A little specialist orchid fertiliser at 1/3 strength each months from spring through to fall.
- Light – Good filtered light only, protection from direct sun is essential especially in summer.
- Watering – Water only with rain water and let the growing medium dry just a little between waterings, moist but not waterlogged.
- Botanical Name : Tillandsia dyeriana
- Common Name : None
- Family Name : Bromeliaceae
- USDA Zone : 9b – 11 Outdoors
- Height : To around 18 inches
- Spread : To around 12 inches
- Growth Rate : Medium to slow
- Flower colour – Orange to Red.
- Flowering Time – Winter to Spring depending on the zone
- Soil : Humus rich, moist and well drained
- Light : Light shade.
- Humidity : Medium
- Container Growing : Yes
- Frost Tolerance : Light to medium frosts only
- Drought Tolerant : Medium