The varieties of Crinum Lilies that we see for sale are often referred to as Crinum Lily, Cape Lily and River Lily.
Generally regarded as Deer Resistant crinums attract Hummingbirds & Butterflies and have Fragrant flowers.
Crinum bulbs are a part of the amaryllis family and are originally from South Africa, India and at least 5 species from Australia.
The white flowering Crinum powellii alba and the pink Crinum powellii rosea are well known and readily available for sale however lots of other species deserve a place in the garden.
Crinum bulbispermum, originally from South Africa is widely grown and has been heavily hybridized and does well to zone 7 given proper care.
Most crinums are sun loving bulbs however crinum moorii is an exception preferring dappled shade.
Crinum pedunculatum is known as the Swamp Lily and will cope well with damp conditions, it also does well in drier situations
- Crinum asiaticum
Crinum americanum – This is an aquatic species from Texas through to Mexico
- Crinum bulbispermum – Pastel pink flowers and one of the best for colder areas.
- Crinum campanulatum – From South Africa with pink flowers.
- Crinum calamistratum – An aquatic species from central Africa
- Crinum ellen bosanquet – Fragrant deep rose red flowers
- Crinum lugardiae – From Namibia with white flowers
- Crinum macowanii – Smaller growing than many.
- Crinum mooreii – Large growing with pinkish white flowers
- Crinum mooreii rosea
- Crinum pedunculatum – Swamp Lily
- Crinum powellii – White flowers in summer.
- Crinum powellii rosea
- Crinum yemensii – White flowers, rare in cultivation