Another fairly easy care type Tulipa kolpakowskiana is species tulip. Flowering Mid spring with nice clear yellow blooms stained crimson on the exterior.
Found in the foothills of the mountains in Kazakhstan and Turkey, with sunny yellow flowers Tulipa kolpakowskiana gets its name ‘sun tulip’.
Some Tulipa kolpakowskiana bulbs produce multiple flowers and this species likes full sun and a well drained soil. It gets its name from its need for full sun for the flowers to open
Yellow flowers streaked with red make this a great bulb for adding a little subtle colour to the garden and it has a nature that makes it suitable for naturalizing into an open woodland.
Plant fairly deep at around 5″ (12cm) and ensure that the drainage is excellent. Remember that full sun is required if the flowers are to open fully.
Will grow well in a deep container and propagation is easiest by division of established clumps. However it will come from seed for those patient among us.
- Botanical Name : Tulipa kolpakowskiana
- Common Name : Kolpakowsky’s tulip
- Family Name : Liliaceae
- USDA Zone : 3- 8
- Flowering Time – Mid to Late Spring
- Flower Colour – Yellow with red streaks.
- Height : 8 inches
- Spread : Clump forming over time
- Growth Rate : Medium to Fast
- Soil : Humus rich, moist and well drained
- Light : Full sun to a little shade
- Humidity : Medium to Low
- Container Growing : Yes
- Frost Tolerance : Yes
- Drought Tolerant : Yes