Easy to grow, fast growing and attractive foliage Cotyledon orbiculata ‘Silver Waves’ is a stand out succulent for the winter garden.
The silvery grey to white foliage adds colour and the flower spike that rise above in winter with pendulous orange flowers are a real bonus.
This is a selected form of the species, which varies in itself.
Best in a container in cooler zones, or in a rock garden in warmer climates. Cotyledon orbiculata ‘Silver Waves’ requires excellent drainage and will grow well in full sun, in warmer areas a period of part shade will work as well.
- Soil – Free draining cactus and succulent soil.
- Light – Full sun to a little afternoon shade.
- Watering – Water when the soil begins to dry out.
- Height – To around 90cm tall (36 inches) usually smaller.
- pH – Neutral to slightly acidic.
The only problems you will have is with over watering, frosts or slugs and snails.
Growing outdoors look to USDA zones 9 -11.
Propagation is easy from offsets. Also possible from seed
Popular varieties worth looking for include :
- Cotyledon orbiculata var oophylla
- Cotyledon orbiculata var. undulata
- Cotyledon papillari
- Cotyledon pendens