Fruiting Pear Trees
Pear trees will mostly pollinate with any other pear that flowers at the same time. A slow growing tree they are available on a number of rootstocks including dwarfing types.
The Bartlett pear is probably the most popular commercial tree, used widely for canning as well as fresh fruit.
Pear Trees varieties for sale. Pear tree species, varieties and cultivars include: Bartlett Pear, Beurre Bosc Pear, Chojuro Asian Pear, Hosui Asian Pear, Moonglow Pear, Red Sensation Pear and Seckel Pear.
The main factor with growing Pear trees in the home garden is that you really need to grow two of them.
Pear trees need a cross pollinator. So firstly choose two ‘compatible trees’, they need to flower at the same time for the cross pollination.
Secondly you need to choose fire blight resistent rootstock.
Once you have this sorted you are right for life. The old saying goes ‘Plant Pears for your heirs’, pear trees are long lived.
- You will need a position in full sun with good air circulation.
- Space your trees so they have room to grow.
- Choose a well drained humus rich soil. You can amend the soil by digging in lots af well rotted compost.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertilizer.
- We do like to stake fruit trees. This keeps them steady in the ground, the roots do not more around on windy days and therefore the develop more quickly.
- Keep young trees well watered through the first two summers.
- Mulch around the trees to maintain a cool root run.
Pear Trees varieties for sale. Pear tree species, varieties and cultivars include:
- Bartlett Pear.
- Beurre Bosc Pear.
- Chojuro Asian Pear,.
- Hosui Asian Pear.
- Moonglow Pear.
- Red Sensation Pear.
- Seckel Pear.
Pear trees are for sale online from the following growers
STARK Bro’s NURSERIES& ORCHARDS Co.
PO Box 1800 Louisiana MO 63353 – phone: 1-800-325-4180
Originators of Red and Golden Delicious apples. Full line of fruit, Apricots, Berries, Cherries, Nectarines, Pears, Grapes, Nuts, shade and flowering trees, shrubs roses and small fruits.