Hot pepper sprays are used on plants as a way of deterring deer, rabbits, squirrels and cats. Many different recipes can be found and all should be tested using proper safety equipment and plants selected for testing before use.
Remember that hot pepper sprays and mixtures can be dangerous to mix and use, consider buying a proprietary mixture from your local garden centre.
Hot pepper sprays are used on plants to help deter deer, cats, squirrels and insects. Lots of hot pepper spray recipes are available and most consist of a mixture of cayenne pepper or hot peppers and garlic with soap and vegetable oil to help bind the active ingredients to plants, water is used to dilute the mixture before spraying.
Always wear proper safety equipment, goggles, gloves and clothing when mixing and spraying Hot Pepper Sprays.
Hot Pepper Spray Recipe
A typical recipe might include
- 4 gallons of water
- 6 -8 hot peppers or a mixture of Tabasco juice and Cayenne pepper
- 2 bulbs of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of liquid insect soap
How to make Hot Pepper Spray
- Mix the peppers, garlic, and pepper in a blender.
- Add the vegetable oil, insect soap and water.
- Strain through cheesecloth or similar material.
- Apply with a pressure sprayer.