Commonly called the King Palm as well as the Bangalow Palm this is a tall growing tree with the good looks to make it popular.
You will see this palm tree lining the streets of Florida, where it can get to a height of 60ft (20m) although usually around 40ft. It has a green crown shaft that extends below the foliage and the crown itself will spread to around 18ft (6m) more or less.
This is a palm tree species that needs good light to grow well so is not really suited to growing indoors.
Best grown in a free draining soil and a position in full sun.
- Botanical Name: Archontophoenix cunninghamiana
- Common Names : King Palm, Bangalow Palm, Picabeen Palm
- Origins : Australia
- USDA Zones : 10 – 11
- Soil : Well drained
- Position : Full sun
- Height : To 60ft (20m)
- Spread : Varies but to around 18ft (6m)
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Frost tolerant : No only down to around 40f.
- Salt tolerant : No
- Drought tolerant : Medium (Not suited to dry desert locations)