With trademark large flowers and long lance shaped leaves Epimedium grandiflorum is a deciduous to semi deciduous species depending on the zone, and the coldness of the winter. The flowers are spurred and appear from late spring to early summer.
Widely cultivated a number of different varieties are available. some reaching 15 inches tall other lower growing. It is a species that will die back after frosts, to happily reappear in spring as things warm up.
Epimedium grandiflorum Care
This is a species that prefers to grow beneath larger trees or shrubs. Try a humus rich soil that has some well rotted manure dug well in.
This is another species that will do well in poorer soils, but will do a lot better in a good soil. Dappled shade, or morning sun and afternoon shade is best.
- Epimedium grandiflorum ‘lilafee’
The lilac fairy barrenwort is aptly named, wonderful lilac flowers in spring.
- Epimedium grandiflorum ‘white queen’Attractive clear white flowers as the name would suggest.
- Epimedium grandiflorum ‘nanum’
A lower growing variety with white flowers and heart shaped leaves
- Epimedium grandiflorum ‘yubae’
Early flowering and low growing to around 1 ft (syn Rose Queen)
- Epimedium grandiflorum ‘red beauty’
Attractive pink to red flowers
- Epimedium grandiflorum var. violaceum