Best Roses for the garden. We bring a list of the best roses and most popular roses for the garden. Some of these roses are old favourites, some are new releases. Includes Links to Rose Nurseries in the USA.
However to get your roses, whichever ones you choose, to perform at their best you will need to follow some basic rules.
- Choose the right cultivar for your gardening zone.
- Plant it where receives a minimum of 6 hours sun a day, preferably 8 or more.
- Prepare the soil well, fertile and well drained
- Space roses so that air movement is good and they have room to grow
- Spend some time taking proper care of your roses through the year.
- Watch out for the common rose diseases.
Our guide to choosing the Best Roses for the USA
Choosing the Best Roses for your garden is a little more difficult than just getting a list and buying the recommendations. For example some are much better for cut flowers than others, however they may be more difficult to grow. Here is a list of considerations.
- Color needs to be considered as with any garden, colour may be an important element of the theme. Or it may be that the position of the rose demands a certain colour to make it stand out or blend in.
- Size – Roses will grow to different sizes, do you want a small bush rose or a wild rambler.
- Style – Standard, Bush, Climbing, Carpet Rose. All have a different effect.
- Container growing – Some roses are better suited to growing in pot or contianers than others.
- Color – From White to yellow, pink, mauve, purple, red, deep red, and almost lack, it’s a matter of choosing what you like or what fits in best with the garden colour scheme.
- Perfume – A matter of personal choice, but roses have vastly different perfumes, so choose wisely if this is important.
- Climate – Some roses perform better in humid climates than other, some do better in the cold.
- Pruning needs – Some roses are vigorous and need a lot of pruning, some are slow growing.
SO WHERES THE LIST ?
Simply put, there is no list of BEST ROSES. You need to choose the attributes listed above and then search for roses that meet your individual requirements.
Yes we do have a list of OUR BEST ROSES or our TOP TEN. And it is worth a look, but first consider what it is that you are looking for in a rose.