A lovely spring flowering species Daphne bholua ‘Jacqueline Postill’ has lovely fragrant pink flowers in spring. The flowers of this daphne are quite large with a strong pink colour. This a species from Nepal and ‘Jacqueline Postill’ is a seedling from the variety D. bholua ‘Gurkha’.
Semi evergreen, in cooler climates it will lose a fair amount of foliage in winter to be sparked back to life in early spring. One of the fastet growing daphnes this variety makes an excellent plant for small gardens where a little height is required.
We would not regard the fragrance as being as strong as D.odora, however the flowers do appear in profusion on tall stems, and these stems can be cut for indoors.
Although this plant is from Nepal, it is from the foothills, usually from heights of 5000 ft, and these areas do not receive the freezing winters of the northern USDA zones. The concept of ‘semi deciduous’ simply means that Daphne. ‘Jacqueline Postill’ will lose foliage in accordance to the coldness of the winter. In very cold zones it will need protection during winter.
Is Daphne bholua ‘Jacqueline Postill’ Toxic to Cata and Dogs ?
Yes, like all Daphne Varieties Daphne bholua ‘Jacqueline Postill’ is toxoc to Cats, Dogs Livestock as well as people. The Sap and foliage can irritate the skin and are toxic if ingested.
Daphne bholua ‘Jacqueline Postill’ Care
Daphne bholua ‘Jacqueline Postill’ will grow to 4 – ft and has a fairly upright habit. Dappled shade in a humus rich moist but free draining soil is best.
- Best planted in dappled shade.
- Try a humus rich moist but free draining soil.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertilizer
- Pruning is generally not required if tip pruned on a regular basis.
- You can cut stems for indoor flowers, however only prune when the plant is in active growth. If pruned at other times dieback may be a problem.
- Botanical Name : Daphne bholua ‘Jacqueline Postill’
- Common Name : Daphne ‘Jacqueline Postill’
- Family Name : Thymelaeaceae
- USDA Zone : 7 – 9
- Height : To around 48 inches
- Spread : To around 24 inches
- Growth Rate : Slow
- Flower colour – Pink
- Flowering Time – Spring
- Soil : Humus rich, moist and well drained
- Light : Medium to Light shade.
- Humidity : Medium
- Container Growing : Yes
- Frost Tolerance : Light to medium frosts only
- Drought Tolerant : No