If you are looking for strong variegated foliage in a daphne, then Daphne x burkwoodii ‘Somerset Gold Edge’ would be the one to look for.
Much more prominent markings than other variegated species and cultivars and a fairly hardy plant as well. We have seen it grown as a standard, certainly very attractive and unusual.
Best in a part shaded position, deep shade is not really suitable. A humus rich well mulched soil with good drainage is essential.
Pruning can be carried out either by tip pruning by taking a few flowers each season, or by pruning back by 2 – 3 inches each year immediately after flowering.
- Botanical Name : Daphne x burkwoodii ‘Somerset Gold Edge’
- Common Name : Daphne ‘Somerset Gold Edge’
- Family Name : Thymelaeaceae
- USDA Zone : 6 – 8
- Height : To around 36 inches
- Spread : To around 36 inches
- Growth Rate : Medium to slow
- Flower colour – Pink to Mauve
- Flowering Time – Winter to Spring depending on the zone
- Soil : Humus rich, moist and well drained
- Light : Full to part Light shade.
- Humidity : Medium
- Container Growing : Yes
- Frost Tolerance : Light to medium frosts only
- Drought Tolerant : No