Attractive and colourful Echeveria agavoides ‘Ebony’ is regarded as one of best of the agavoides types. With has gray-green fleshy leaves with red tips it is a great looking plant year round.
Sometimes called the Ebony Wax Agave, this is a succulent that forms a tight rosette and the red edges on the leaves are more prominent in the colder months. Sometimes confused with Echeveria agavoides ‘Lipstick’ however ‘Lipstick’ has much brighter green leaves and tends to be larger growing.
Originally from Mexico this is a succulent that shows best colour when you grow ‘Ebony in a position where it gets good sun, however in hotter climates, some protection from hot afternoon sun is essential.
How to Care for Echeveria agavoides ‘Ebony’
- Use a free draining succulent potting mix.
- Choose a pot with a good sized drainage hole and pot feet.
- Only water when the potting mix has dried out.
- Watch out Aphids and Mealybugs between the leaves
- Only fertilise when repotting
- ‘Ebony’ is frost tolerant down to 25°F
- Outdoors in USDA Zones 9b – 11b
- Not tolerant of freezes.
Growing Echeveria agavoides ‘Ebony’ Indoors
Although best colours and growth are obtained when growing outdoors, in many climate zones this is not possible over winter.
- Grow ‘Ebony’ near a sunny window being careful not to scorch the leaves on hot days.
- Do not mist spray.
- Keep away from heating and cooling ducts.
- Be careful not to overwater.
What are the top tips for looking after Echeveria ‘Ebony’?
- Give it a free draining potting mix.
- Give it lots of light.
- Don’t over water.
- Keep humidity low.