Epimedium koreanum is closely related to Epimedium Grandiflora. So it should really be called Epimedium grandiflorum ssp. koreanum.
This is also one of a number of species known as ‘Horny Goat Weed’ or ‘Yin Yang Huo’, although this does seem to apply to at least 15 species.
Attractive white flowers with a touch of lemon in spring and good mid green foliage have led to a number of cultivars being developed including the popular cultivar is Epimedium grandiflorum ssp. koreanum ‘La Rocaille’.
Reaching a good height and being long flowering the species spreads by underground roots or rhizomes.
Epimedium koreanum is widely used in traditional Chinese and Korean herbal medicine, however it also makes a great garden plant as do so many epimediums.
Epimedium koreanum Care
- This is a species that prefers to grow beneath larger trees or shrubs.
- Try a humus rich soil that has some well rotted manure dug well in.
- Epimedium koreanum will do well in poorer soils, but will do a lot better in a good soil.
- Dappled shade, or morning sun and afternoon shade is best.
- Epimedium sagittatum.
- Epimedium grandiflorum ‘White Queen’.
- Epimedium x versicolor ‘Sulphureum’ .
- Epimedium diphyllum
- Epimedium franchetti
- Epimedium koreanum
- Epimedium x perralchicum ‘Frohnleiten’
- Epimedium rhizomatosum
- Epimedium x rubrum (red barrenwort)
- Epimedium x warleyense
- Epimedium youngianum ‘Niveum’
- Epimedium x versicolor ‘Cherry Tart’
- Epimedium wushanense
Where to buy
GARDEN VISION EPIMEDIUMS – phone 978-249-3863
P.O. Box 50 Templeton, MA 01468-0050
email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Best selection of Epimedium species/varieties in the U.S. along with a selection of other choice, hard to find shade perennials.
DIGGING DOG NURSERY
PO Box 471 Albion CA 95410 – phone (707) 937-1130
A spectacular selection of hard to find perennials, ornamental grasses, shrubs, trees and vines for your garden. Includes: epimedium frohnleiten, epimedium perralderianum, epimedium grandiflorum.